Tuesday, June 30, 2009

And now for a word from our sponsor...

Taking a break from the normal political musings to post about exercise and food. :)

Exercise

I have been trying to incorporate more exercise into my routine. I'm taking a weekly circuit training class and a weekly yoga class. I'm also doing Wii Fit, going for walks and anything else I can think of to get my butt moving. Hoping to also start the Couch to 5K running program soon.

Wanted to put in a plug for a great walking trail I used last weekend. There is a trail between Tecumseh and Adrian that used to be a railroad track and was paved into asphalt trail that is 7.5 miles long. Great for biking or walking or running and is like a wooded tunnel in some parts and other parts there is a tiny waterfall and a wooden bridge over an overgrown stream. More info can be found at http://www.traillink.com/ViewTrail.aspx?AcctID=6016168

Also yoga is not the easy stretching cake walk I thought it would be. There are many different disciplines of yoga and some are more physical demanding than others. Now while I am completely relaxed by the end of the hour, during the hour, it is definite exercise. I sweated so much I thought I had changed from the solid state of matter to the liquid state of matter! So if you have looked down your nose at yoga and thought it wasn't a "real" workout - give it a try. I'm really enjoying it.

Food

I've been trying to eat more healthy and lose weight. To help that goal I joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) where you purchase a "share" of a local farmer's crop. It has been really interesting getting whatever is in season and trying to cook/eat things I wouldn't normally have.

Last week's challenge was radishes. Didn't think I liked radishes - and I don't if they are raw. However if they are cooked (tried them roasted and tried them in a stir-fry) I just LOVE them. The radish greens are great too. My first week I got radishes, basil, bok choy, scallions (some of the biggest ones I've ever seen!), spinach, leaf lettuce and a dozen brown eggs.

This week I got the following: a tomato, swiss chard, parsley, spinach, lettuce, broccoli, summer squash, onions and another dozen eggs. So the challenges this week are swiss chard and parsley. I've found a few recipes (a swiss chard crustless quiche and a carrot and parsley salad) that I'm going to try. If they come out well, I'll post the recipes and pictures of the dish. My cooking almost always is tasty - however it isn't always appealing to look at. I've eaten my share of grey but DELICIOUS food. ;) Hopefully these will be both tasty and appetizing to look at.

Luckily I'm not scared to try any food. I'm an experimental cook as well. Today's lunch was quick cook barley, a can of mushroom pieces with the liquid, a can of tuna with the water and a handfull of torn spinach. Microwaved for 3 minutes and then let sit until the barley absorbs the liquid. It was a bizarre combination - yet vary quick and tasty. Main drawback was probably pretty high in sodium because of the canned tuna and canned mushrooms. But other than that, met a lot of nutritional needs.